The Oscars received quite a bit of backlash this year for being “the whitest Oscars” yet. Neil Patrick Harris did his best to make light of the nickname given the 87th Academy Awards starting the show off stating “Tonight we honor Hollywood’s best and whitest — sorry brightest.” Throughout the show he gave a few nods to Selma as well.
The Oscar MVPs of the night however, and we think may agreed with NPH when he stated so in his “nominations,” were John Stephens and Lonnie Lynn. Otherwise known as John Legend and Common if you didn’t happen to know their real names. The two received a standing ovation accompanied with tears for their performance of “Glory.” That standing ovation was then followed by the same during their acceptance speech for Best Original Song. If you missed the performance or acceptance speeches, you can catch them below.
The most surprising performance of the night would have to be Lady Gaga. She stunned the crowd singing songs that took us back to Ms. Julie Andrews spinning in a field for “The Sound of Music.” Ms. Andrews then walked so gracefully as only she can onto the stage and thanked Gaga for such a wonderful tribute to a classic celebrating 50 years.
J. Hud gave a wonderful performance as well for the “In Memoriam” tribute for the fallen stars of 2014. Social media quickly pointed out though that Joan Rivers seemed to be missing from the lineup of those being remembered.
Missed the gowns? Well we’ll tell you all of the men seemed to be in tailor made suits so we won’t even get into that. We will, however, share some of our favorite gowns with you.
- Robin Roberts giving life in her Marc Bouwer dress
- Lupita Nyong’o’s dress entailed very intricate beadwork. 6000 pearls on the Calvin Klein custom dress.
- Botox much Melanie Griffith? Dakota Fanning from 50 Shades of Grey trying to convince her mom to go see the movie
- Anna Kendrick’s gown was gorgeous. She wore a custom Thakoon coral gown with a keyhole accent and diamond collar.
- Faith Hill looked amazing with her short haircut and J. Mendell gown
- Lo had on an interesting but lovely Elie Saab taupe dress
- Jennifer Anniston must be loving her Aveno as she was beautiful in her semi-see through Versace gown
- Kelly Osbourne proves she knows fashion in a stunning black Rita Vinieris gown
- Reese Witherspoon looked stunning in her white and black Tom Ford fitted gown
- Chrissy Teigen gave a little leg and cleavage in her Zuhair Murad gown.
- The lovely Kelly Ripa looked stunning in her black Christian Siriano gown
- Kerry Washington of course looked stunning in her Miu Miu dress. She said it was effortless and she fell in love with it instantly
- Viola Davis was lovely in Zac Posen though the bodice could have been a bit more fitted
- Meryl Streep shows how grace and beauty should look in her Lanvin